5 Reasons Why Children Should Learn to Debate
What does debating actually mean?
If you are not familiar with how debate competitions work, you might find it hard to understand how arguing over seemingly simple topics can add value to one's life.
But that's not the full picture. Debate is less of an argument and more of a social way of expressing one's point of view on a particular topic. For example, it teaches a student to see others' point of views from a different perspective and increases their ability to accept different opinions in the process. Debate works as one of the most effective tools in developing a student’s overall personality. It helps them to nurture the most essential skills in today's fast-paced world.
Does your child need it?
Now the question is, why does your child need it? Here are a few simple reasons to answer your question.
1. Debating helps children become critical thinkers. It increases their problem solving abilities and helps them analyse and interpret complex situations better. As a result, there will be a noticeable growth in their academic and personal lives.
2. Debating helps children articulate their thoughts better. That for a change will enhance their communication and presentation skills. This will help them shine in their personal, academic, and professional lives in the long run by lifting up their confidence.
3. Debating encourages children to educate themselves on various topics. It helps them grow interest in global and national social, political, economical, and cultural facts and events. And the interesting thing is, you won't have to force them to do it.
4. It encourages children to think out of the box. This will help them stand out from the crowd.
5. It enables children to resolve conflicts better. This will help them identify distractions and focus on the things they are supposed to while keeping their emotions in check.
The points mentioned above are some of the most important skill developments debating offers you. You may have already realised the importance of debating in your children's life. Help your children nurture these essential skills from a very young age by introducing them to the world of debate and see the positive change by yourself. Online debating workshops are a good way to start. This will help spark the interest for debating in them.
Where can you find courses on Debate for kids?
Don't worry, Upskill has got your back. Upskill offers a Live online series called “Debate for Young Learners” designed for the children of 8-12 years with a view to unlocking their leadership potential and enhancing the debating skills of our youth. Keeping the busy schedule of the children in mind, Upskill has designed this course of 5 classes and different mock debates along with one final Debate Competition. This 5 day long workshop will stimulate the participants' journey to the next level through capacity and confidence building in all possible sectors.Click here to Register for the workshop
Trainer: Faria Samsun
Faria was an Equity Officer and the Vice President of AUW Debating Society. She is an experienced Adjudicator. She was an Adjudicator of AUW Debating Society and a Trainee Adjudicator of BUET Inter-Varsity (IV).
Along with her extensive experience in the debating world, she is working as a Supply Chain Management Intern at Nestle Bangladesh. She is also working with Reflective Teens as an Impact and Partnership Development Officer.